We've made it!! Ending of an era, man.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure/Buffy the Vampire Slayer AU
Chapter Summary: Johan tells one final story to an important someone...
Word Count: 1525
Note: HERE THERE PROBABLY BE BUFFY/JJBA SPOILERS
“So that brings us up to the present day,” Johan finishes, taking a sip of coffee. Is it any surprise he’s thirsty after all this talking? He kind of wants to chug it, but that would be kind of rude. Maybe it’d be worth it to get scolded again after all this time, but he has to remember there are differences here. The barista is blond, but that’s practically the only similarity, and there are a ton of blond guys in the world. The eyes are brown, and the American accent definitely throws him off. This ‘Charles’ is even polite enough not to tell him to knock it off, coming here day after day with a ridiculous story, never mind throw him out. Even then, though, he’s sure he’s not wrong.
“That’s a pretty wild story. Are you trying to sell me on your latest book or something?” Charles asks finally.
Xander’s not sure which hits first—the laughter or the tears. “Fitz would’ve been the first to say that he’s not sure I’m even literate.”
The barista crosses his arms. “That sounds really rude. Why do you even care about finding this asshole?”
It’s...rare, that anyone bothers being protective over Johan, much less a complete stranger. He’s not imagining that spark, not just a quick connection but a feeling that there’s something else there. “Because I’m the kind of sucker that believes in happy endings and miracles. Not, like, effortless things that just fall in your lap; things you really have to fight for. And I think we can both agree based on everything I’ve said I’ve fought for this.”
His heart’s doing a little happy Snoopy Dance at the fact that underneath that scowl it definitely looks like jealousy. All the listening and leaning over the counter was actually maybe flirting, not just Xander being way too hopeful and seeing things that weren’t there. Sure, maybe he doesn’t believe any of this, but he’s interested enough to listen, anyway. Charles turns away, keeping his hands busy cleaning one of the coffee machines, rather than staying here and looking at Johan. “You told me about your last time seeing Captain Beefheart—you should come up with a better name for her when you send this to the publisher, by the way—but you didn’t mention what happened to Brown.”
Invested, even if he doesn’t want to admit it. Some things never change, in the face of all that obviously do. “I’ll tell her you said that in our next online meeting. That’s another long story, and I’m not sure you want to sit through that, too, especially this close to closing. Short version, Jacawitz—that’s the wasp god from Xibalba—had been so mad about our win in the ball game and the humiliation he suffered that he finally had the motivation to find a loophole in the terms of the confinement of the Lords of Xibalba. Brown got stung during that last fight with Rush. He’s fine now; visits the Captain often enough we’re all waiting for the day he’s re-labeled as a resident. Before that, we had to go to Xibalba to find the cure, which turned out to be a very special flower, even ran into Rush again. Kind of our own little Crusade again—sorry, Babylon 5 joke.”
Oddly enough, that joke out of everything made Charles a little alarmed, judging by the tense line of his shoulders, so it’s good to reassure him.
Charles turns back around, meeting Xander’s gaze. “Why me?” There’s something just a little broken in his tone.
Time for a little proof, Johan guesses. This time, when he drinks his coffee, he makes sure to pointedly lift the cup using Pretender’s hand rather than his own. Charles’ eyes go wide. “I think you already suspect why. As for how I found you, mostly more of the same. Weird feet guy who may or may not be related to my family, but this time it went faster because of an encounter you had. That pink-haired guy that died in the bank heist, the one who gave his name as Doppio? That was actual the mob boss Diavolo.”
“But you want me dead just to bring back a dead man?” Charles accuses, voice harsh and angry and terrified, and Xander flinches back.
“B5 Death of Personality arguments aside, I’m not asking you to die. I’m asking you to change. Which I know, personally, having gone through it, is worse,” he manages, voice thick through the pain and potential loss, “...Mum didn’t want to talk about it, but she figured it would be important for this. And her own hunt for Mercia. She said that Incognito’s stamps are imperfect. That you suspect something’s wrong, even if you don’t know why, that life itself feels like a grey illusion. Incognito just stops you or anyone else from looking.”
“So you made that choice for me, breaking the seal?” Charles asks again.
Johan concentrates on his breathing. “No. You tell me you don’t want this, I walk away. I could be wrong. And it’s not like—loads of people live with that slightly empty feeling. Most of them, it’s not because of a Stand, just the existential nature of the human condition, but it’s not like knowing all this will ruin your life. You could move on pretty easily if you wanted to.”
“And if I don’t want to? If I asked you to stay?” It’s almost more a rhetorical question, just for confirmation than because Charles doesn’t know the answer.
“Don’t—” Johan’s voice cracks even as Pretender offers him a napkin to wipe his eyes. “Don’t ask me to do that, please. It wouldn’t be fair to either of us.”
Charles nods. “Come back tomorrow. I’ll give you your answer then.” His voice is hoarse.
Charles looks no more familiar the following day when Johan walks in the door, but that determination in his eyes is. “If I’m not your Fitz, nothing will happen?” he demands instantly, so close in Xander’s space that he reflexively pulls out his Stand before actual thought kicks in and he quickly stops himself from reacting any further. He’s not in danger. The one other patron in here glances over but goes back to their work on their computer before too long.
“That’s right. We don’t actually have a guarantee it’ll work at all; Crazy Diamond will do what he can, but grandpa didn’t know you too well before, so it’s harder than it was for my mom.” Which would destroy his heart. To come this far and fail now?
“We didn’t really talk about me,” Charles mentions, motioning for them both to sit down. Curious, Xander does. “I’m not really close with my family. Tried dating for a while, but there was always something missing. I don’t even have a roommate. The only one who would miss me would be my cat, and even that doesn’t have to be a goodbye, unless Fitz actually hated cats or something?”
Johan shakes his head. “Not that I know about.”
“I’ve always wanted this epic adventure. Dreamed about being whisked away to something incredible by a starry-shouldered, one-eyed prince.” Jerk. Johan’s blushing deeply, but he doesn’t try to hide it. If nothing else Charles deserves this, before—before whatever happens happens. Probably why he’d said it, too. “Don’t get me wrong, I’m actually one of the few freaks that enjoys customer service, but even that could stand to be a little livened up now and then. Not, I guess, by me having to try to save the life of a guy bleeding out on the floor, but still.”
“It’s not all glamorous, for sure.” Xander agrees.
“Maybe glamour-ous, though? Not a punning guy, your Fitz?” It’s mostly bravado in the face of existential fear, but it’s appreciated. They both smile weakly at each other. “Fine, okay, if I am Speedwagon, could you give this to my boss? I don’t want to just disappear without an explanation, but I don’t want to quit and then have nothing lined up.”
“I’d make sure the Speedwagon Foundation covered you for as long as you needed. I wouldn’t leave you in a lurch. But...sure, I can do that.” Johan takes the envelope. He doesn’t take it out to read it. It’s not for him, anyway.
“Okay, what do I have to do?” It’s a brave decision, but Johan knows that Charles wouldn’t want to hear it. Not now. That feels like it would cheapen it in some way.
Johan turns and peeks his head out the window to wave to Josuke, who looks really relieved as he hurries over. The goof will probably make a hundred jokes about being a fairy godmother at this point, and Xander will endure each one happily. Assuming this works, but the Joestar family has pulled off so many miracles before now. Surely they still have one still up their sleeve. “Now? You get to meet my grandpa. Remember the thing about the hair.”
That actually makes Charles laugh and relax. He’s still nervous, but he’s also a little excited, now. “Do I ever.”
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure/Buffy the Vampire Slayer AU
Chapter Summary: Johan tells one final story to an important someone...
Word Count: 1525
Note: HERE THERE PROBABLY BE BUFFY/JJBA SPOILERS
“So that brings us up to the present day,” Johan finishes, taking a sip of coffee. Is it any surprise he’s thirsty after all this talking? He kind of wants to chug it, but that would be kind of rude. Maybe it’d be worth it to get scolded again after all this time, but he has to remember there are differences here. The barista is blond, but that’s practically the only similarity, and there are a ton of blond guys in the world. The eyes are brown, and the American accent definitely throws him off. This ‘Charles’ is even polite enough not to tell him to knock it off, coming here day after day with a ridiculous story, never mind throw him out. Even then, though, he’s sure he’s not wrong.
“That’s a pretty wild story. Are you trying to sell me on your latest book or something?” Charles asks finally.
Xander’s not sure which hits first—the laughter or the tears. “Fitz would’ve been the first to say that he’s not sure I’m even literate.”
The barista crosses his arms. “That sounds really rude. Why do you even care about finding this asshole?”
It’s...rare, that anyone bothers being protective over Johan, much less a complete stranger. He’s not imagining that spark, not just a quick connection but a feeling that there’s something else there. “Because I’m the kind of sucker that believes in happy endings and miracles. Not, like, effortless things that just fall in your lap; things you really have to fight for. And I think we can both agree based on everything I’ve said I’ve fought for this.”
His heart’s doing a little happy Snoopy Dance at the fact that underneath that scowl it definitely looks like jealousy. All the listening and leaning over the counter was actually maybe flirting, not just Xander being way too hopeful and seeing things that weren’t there. Sure, maybe he doesn’t believe any of this, but he’s interested enough to listen, anyway. Charles turns away, keeping his hands busy cleaning one of the coffee machines, rather than staying here and looking at Johan. “You told me about your last time seeing Captain Beefheart—you should come up with a better name for her when you send this to the publisher, by the way—but you didn’t mention what happened to Brown.”
Invested, even if he doesn’t want to admit it. Some things never change, in the face of all that obviously do. “I’ll tell her you said that in our next online meeting. That’s another long story, and I’m not sure you want to sit through that, too, especially this close to closing. Short version, Jacawitz—that’s the wasp god from Xibalba—had been so mad about our win in the ball game and the humiliation he suffered that he finally had the motivation to find a loophole in the terms of the confinement of the Lords of Xibalba. Brown got stung during that last fight with Rush. He’s fine now; visits the Captain often enough we’re all waiting for the day he’s re-labeled as a resident. Before that, we had to go to Xibalba to find the cure, which turned out to be a very special flower, even ran into Rush again. Kind of our own little Crusade again—sorry, Babylon 5 joke.”
Oddly enough, that joke out of everything made Charles a little alarmed, judging by the tense line of his shoulders, so it’s good to reassure him.
Charles turns back around, meeting Xander’s gaze. “Why me?” There’s something just a little broken in his tone.
Time for a little proof, Johan guesses. This time, when he drinks his coffee, he makes sure to pointedly lift the cup using Pretender’s hand rather than his own. Charles’ eyes go wide. “I think you already suspect why. As for how I found you, mostly more of the same. Weird feet guy who may or may not be related to my family, but this time it went faster because of an encounter you had. That pink-haired guy that died in the bank heist, the one who gave his name as Doppio? That was actual the mob boss Diavolo.”
“But you want me dead just to bring back a dead man?” Charles accuses, voice harsh and angry and terrified, and Xander flinches back.
“B5 Death of Personality arguments aside, I’m not asking you to die. I’m asking you to change. Which I know, personally, having gone through it, is worse,” he manages, voice thick through the pain and potential loss, “...Mum didn’t want to talk about it, but she figured it would be important for this. And her own hunt for Mercia. She said that Incognito’s stamps are imperfect. That you suspect something’s wrong, even if you don’t know why, that life itself feels like a grey illusion. Incognito just stops you or anyone else from looking.”
“So you made that choice for me, breaking the seal?” Charles asks again.
Johan concentrates on his breathing. “No. You tell me you don’t want this, I walk away. I could be wrong. And it’s not like—loads of people live with that slightly empty feeling. Most of them, it’s not because of a Stand, just the existential nature of the human condition, but it’s not like knowing all this will ruin your life. You could move on pretty easily if you wanted to.”
“And if I don’t want to? If I asked you to stay?” It’s almost more a rhetorical question, just for confirmation than because Charles doesn’t know the answer.
“Don’t—” Johan’s voice cracks even as Pretender offers him a napkin to wipe his eyes. “Don’t ask me to do that, please. It wouldn’t be fair to either of us.”
Charles nods. “Come back tomorrow. I’ll give you your answer then.” His voice is hoarse.
Charles looks no more familiar the following day when Johan walks in the door, but that determination in his eyes is. “If I’m not your Fitz, nothing will happen?” he demands instantly, so close in Xander’s space that he reflexively pulls out his Stand before actual thought kicks in and he quickly stops himself from reacting any further. He’s not in danger. The one other patron in here glances over but goes back to their work on their computer before too long.
“That’s right. We don’t actually have a guarantee it’ll work at all; Crazy Diamond will do what he can, but grandpa didn’t know you too well before, so it’s harder than it was for my mom.” Which would destroy his heart. To come this far and fail now?
“We didn’t really talk about me,” Charles mentions, motioning for them both to sit down. Curious, Xander does. “I’m not really close with my family. Tried dating for a while, but there was always something missing. I don’t even have a roommate. The only one who would miss me would be my cat, and even that doesn’t have to be a goodbye, unless Fitz actually hated cats or something?”
Johan shakes his head. “Not that I know about.”
“I’ve always wanted this epic adventure. Dreamed about being whisked away to something incredible by a starry-shouldered, one-eyed prince.” Jerk. Johan’s blushing deeply, but he doesn’t try to hide it. If nothing else Charles deserves this, before—before whatever happens happens. Probably why he’d said it, too. “Don’t get me wrong, I’m actually one of the few freaks that enjoys customer service, but even that could stand to be a little livened up now and then. Not, I guess, by me having to try to save the life of a guy bleeding out on the floor, but still.”
“It’s not all glamorous, for sure.” Xander agrees.
“Maybe glamour-ous, though? Not a punning guy, your Fitz?” It’s mostly bravado in the face of existential fear, but it’s appreciated. They both smile weakly at each other. “Fine, okay, if I am Speedwagon, could you give this to my boss? I don’t want to just disappear without an explanation, but I don’t want to quit and then have nothing lined up.”
“I’d make sure the Speedwagon Foundation covered you for as long as you needed. I wouldn’t leave you in a lurch. But...sure, I can do that.” Johan takes the envelope. He doesn’t take it out to read it. It’s not for him, anyway.
“Okay, what do I have to do?” It’s a brave decision, but Johan knows that Charles wouldn’t want to hear it. Not now. That feels like it would cheapen it in some way.
Johan turns and peeks his head out the window to wave to Josuke, who looks really relieved as he hurries over. The goof will probably make a hundred jokes about being a fairy godmother at this point, and Xander will endure each one happily. Assuming this works, but the Joestar family has pulled off so many miracles before now. Surely they still have one still up their sleeve. “Now? You get to meet my grandpa. Remember the thing about the hair.”
That actually makes Charles laugh and relax. He’s still nervous, but he’s also a little excited, now. “Do I ever.”